Eskenazi Health could not possibly provide the services it does without the support of the Indianapolis community and the supporting organizations that have helped sustain health programs and services throughout the hospital’s history. One our biggest supporters is St. Margaret’s Hospital Guild, which has worked on behalf of the hospital for more than a century.
During the Christmas season of 1906, the Rev. Dr. Lewis Brown, rector of the old St. Paul’s Episcopal Church, invited five women to accompany him to every hospital in town to spread Christmas cheer. The ladies made Christmas cards trimmed with sprigs of holly, giving them to each patient they visited.
The following spring, Dr. Brown received a check for $5 along with a note of appreciation that said to use the money “at the discretion of the young ladies.” St. Margaret’s Hospital Guild was formed later that year with the mission of aiding the children of City Hospital, now the Sidney & Lois Eskenazi Hospital.
Perhaps best known for its annual Decorators’ Show House, the Guild provides more than $300,000 every year for capital improvements and program enhancements. Throughout the years, the fundraising has benefited the Richard M. Fairbanks Burn Center at Eskenazi Health, radiology, the St. Margaret’s Hospital Guild Diagnostic Breast Center at Eskenazi Health, newborn and special care nurseries, Eskenazi Health Midtown Community Mental Health and mobile mammography services. In all, the Decorators’ Show House has raised more than $8 million for Eskenazi Health.
Please visit St. Margaret’s website for additional information on upcoming events and other ways to help the Guild in its support of Eskenazi Health.