24 Hour/Timed Urine Collection Procedures
Your doctor has asked you to collect all of your urine for a period of 24 hours. Please follow the instructions below.
- When you get up in the morning, empty your bladder and discard this urine into the toilet. Record this time. This time will be called your STARTING TIME.
- For the next 24 hours, collect ALL urine. Carefully pour/transfer the urine collected each time into the large gallon jug. Mix the jug after each addition of urine. PUT THE JUG IN REFRIGERATOR BETWEEN COLLECTIONS.
- At the end of the 24-hour period (next morning), empty your bladder, collect this urine and add it to the gallon jug. Record this as your ENDING TIME.
- Bring the 24-hour urine jug and the TIMES you recorded to the clinic on the day you finished the collections. Go to Registration and get a new registration for the date your specimen collection is completed.
- If you have been referred for collection by an out-of-network physician, you must first take your order to the main floor of the Primary Care Center between the hours of 8 a.m. and 4 p.m., Monday through Friday, to obtain a urine collection jug.
- Once your collection is complete, go to the Admitting Department with your order and get a registration for the day the specimen collection was completed. You may then deliver the urine jug and the requisition (doctor’s prescription/order) to the main floor of the Primary Care Center between the hours of 8 a.m. – 4 p.m., Monday – Friday, or to the Pre-Admission Testing area. Do NOT go directly to the laboratory with an unregistered specimen.
- Do not discard any liquid or powder that may have been added to your urine jug.
- Store the urine jug containing the urine in a cool place such as your refrigerator.
- It is important that you collect all the urine for the 24-hour period.
- You woke up and emptied your bladder at 7:30 a.m. This is your STARTING TIME. Do not collect this urine.
- For the whole day and night – the next 24 hours – collect all urine and pour into the jug. Mix each time you add urine.
- At 7:30 a.m. the NEXT day, empty your bladder, collect this urine and pour this urine into the jug. This will be your ENDING TIME.