While employment as a medical interpreter is not guaranteed, this program provides bilingual individuals with the training and certification needed to apply for jobs in this field.
The course covers:
- Basic interpreter skills: Roles, ethics, conduit and clarifier interpreting and managing the flow of the session
- Information on health care: Introduction to the health care system, anatomy and basic medical procedures
- Culture in interpreting: Self-awareness, basic characteristics of specific cultures, traditional health care in specific communities and culture brokering
- Communication skills for advocacy: Listening skills, communication styles, how doctors think and appropriate advocacy
- Professional development: Effective communication, professional conduct, self-care and resources for professional growth
Bridging the Gap courses are offered periodically. Questions can be directed to Eskenazi Health Multicultural Affairs at 317.880.4999.
Course Dates: May 15-19, July 10-14, August 21-25 from 9 a.m. – 5 p.m. A registration form and payment must be received four weeks prior to the start of a session.
Registration: Click the link below for the registration form.