St. Margaret's Hospital Guild

st. margaret's guildDuring the Christmas season of 1906, the Reverend Dr. Lewis Brown, rector of the old St. Paul's Episcopal Church, invited five women to accompany him to every hospital in town to spread Christmas cheer. Christmas cards made by the ladies with verses written by James Whitcomb Riley and trimmed with sprigs of holly were given to each patient they visited.

Early the following year, Dr. Brown received a note of appreciation with a check for $5 that was to be used "at the discretion of the young ladies." Thus, St. Margaret's Hospital Guild was formed in March 1907. The Guild members chose to aid the children of the city hospital, now known as the Sidney & Lois Eskenazi Hospital.

Best known for its annual Decorators' Show House, the Guild provides more than $300,000 every year to Eskenazi Health for a variety of capital improvements and program enhancements.

Through the years, funds raised have benefited areas including pediatrics, the Richard M. Fairbanks Burn Center at Eskenazi Health, radiology, the St. Margaret's Diagnostic Breast Center at Eskenazi Health, newborn and special care nurseries, Eskenazi Health Midtown Community Mental Health, and mobile mammography services. In all, the Decorators' Show House has raised more than $8 million for Eskenazi Health.

St. Margaret's Hospital Guild is proud to be one of the pioneer volunteer groups in the city of Indianapolis. The Guild is grateful to the designers, landscape architects, sponsors, individuals, corporations and donors of in-kind services who make the Decorators' Show House possible. The women of St. Margaret's Hospital Guild pledge to continue to support their community through fund-raising activities that benefit Eskenazi Health.

For additional information on how you can help the St. Margaret's Hospital Guild help Eskenazi Health, please click the following link to be re-directed to the Guild's Web site:

St. Margaret's Hospital Guild